Proper pancakes by Vardo
We are sure you will all agree that Pancake Day, or Shrove Tuesday, is one of the greatest days in the culinary calendar. This year it falls on Tuesday, 16 February and what better way to enjoy this flippin’ fantastic day than with a stack of pancakes from Vardo covered in maple syrup and butter. “Yum!” we hear you say – so read on and discover the recipe for ‘Grain pancakes with maple syrup and butter’….
Grain pancakes with maple syrup and butter
Inspired by the many and varied grain pancakes found along the west coast of America, this is the Vardo version. There is a lot of good stuff packed into these pancakes, giving a much more textured, moist and flavourful result.
Makes 1 large pancake or 6-8 smaller ones
80g wholewheat spelt flour, 60g instant polenta, 30g buckwheat flour, 30g rye flour, 20g rolled oats, 30g muscovago sugar, 1 tbsp milled flaxseeds (optional), 1 tbsp poppy seeds, 1 tsp sea salt, 1.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda, 400ml buttermilk, 3 eggs, 100g unsalted butter (melted), 125g cooked brown rice (optional), butter for frying
- Preheat the overn to 175°C.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl and whisk to remove lumps.
- In another large bowl, gently whisk the eggs, butermilk and butter together.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet until well combined. Finally, fold in the cooked brown rice (if using).
- Melt a little butter in a heavy-based ovenproof pan and spoon about 100ml of batter into the pan. Cook on one side, then place the pan in the oven for about 10 minutes or until brown on the underside and some bubbles have formed on the surface. This will make it a lot easier to flip.
- Finally remove from the oven, flip the pancake over and cook the other side until nicely browned.
- Ideally serve the pancakes as they are cooked with maple syrp and butter.
- Don’t forget to share your creations on Instagram!
For more delicious Vardo recipes, why not purchase their cookbook as part of their Caravan Swag Bag (£25). Find out more here.